History of the Consortium on Revolutionary Europe
The Consortium on Revolutionary Europe
was established by five universities--Florida State University,
the University of Florida, the University of Georgia, the University
of South Carolina, and Louisiana State University--in 1972 to foster
the study of Europe during the Revolutionary Period (1750-1850).
The primary goal was to organize an annual conference for those
interested in this field and to publish the results of their contributions.
Participants include both faculty and students, primarily from the
United States, Canada, and Europe. Although the first meeting in
1971 attracted only 75 students and scholars to the University of
Georgia, the Bicentennial meeting, held at Florida State University
in September 1989, attracted 225 scholars from six countries and
almost 2,000 students from not only Florida State University but
also from the University of Illinois, Ohio State, Auburn, and L.S.U.
The Consortium has expanded in the past twenty-five years
and now includes seventeen universities and colleges.